How to Predesignate Your Personal Physician for a Possible Work Injury

California Labor Code 9780.1 (link here) allows an employee to be treated for a work injury by the employee’s personal physician if several conditions are met:
  1. Before the injury your doctor agrees to treat you work any work injury or illness;
  2. Before the injury you provided your employer 1) written notice you want your personal doctor to treat you for a work-related injury of illness, and 2) your doctor’s name and business address in writing.
The Division of Workers’ Compensation has a form for just this purpose. It can be accessed by clicking here.

Please note there are limits to what kind of doctor that can be predesignated. Per the Department of Industrial Relations’ Injured Workers Guidebook (here): “The doctor must be a general practitioner, internist, pediatrician, obstetrician-gynecologist, or family practitioner who is your primary care physician.”

Predesignation of a chiropractor or acupuncturist is not allowed, with exceptions, per the Department of Industrial Relations.